Greenville Alabama

I mentioned that I found a great art gallery in Greenville, Alabama, last week. 

I wanted to share a few of the pretty and historic homes I saw as I buzzed through this cute town off I-65, on my way to Foley. This is the Butler County courthouse....

circa 1903 

The copper dome is a replacement, courtesy of Hurricane Opal in 1995.

This cute Greek Revival caught my eye...


As did this one...



This Gothic Revival is captivating. I love the overgrown bushes begging to be cut.  Keeps it mysterious. 


I also like the telephone wires. I know, that is crazy. But, they aren't all that common, anymore - only in older neighborhoods. We have overhead power lines in our historic neighborhood and I'll admit I am not so fond of them when we have storms and lose our power.  

This Greek Revival is next door to that Gothic Revival. Do you see the old-fashioned traffic light?


I should have zoomed in on those gorgeous camellia bushes blooming along the left of the front walk. However, the sun was setting and this was a busy intersection and it was actually quite chilly. So, -not enough patience.


This is the side view of that house. Cute profile.

Another Greek Revival...


Greenville also has it's share of Victorian architecture, but I tend to favor the older homes, so I arrived home with no photos of other styles.


Cute downtown.


And I captured these last two from the car at 40 mph...



Love that side addition.

And that is your tour of Greenville, Alabama!

Comments

Betty said…
The older homes are my favorites....so much character! They've stood the test of time...
Leah said…
The "side addition" on the last picture is not am addition, but is, in fact, original to the home. It is a Porte cochere and three bay garage. I should know, I grew up in that house!
Wow, Leah- that is cool! What a gorgeous home (so pretty I posted a 40mph snapshot of it!) . Recently, someone contacted me whose grandparents lived in my home- just happened to see my blog. Small world!