Historic Hattiesburg Snapshots

One perk of my consulting job is getting to travel across the South. It is not always pleasant to drive 5 or 6 hours to Mississippi, or Florida, especially when I am really busy with kids and things at home. But every now and then I will take the time to enjoy my travels. 

Earlier this week I worked in Hattiesburg, Mississippi. The people of Hattiesburg should be commended, as Hattiesburg has recovered nicely from Hurricane Katrina. I can only imagine the historic buildings that were lost. I ran across a few pretty homes on my walk one morning, if you follow me on Instagram, you have seen a couple of these...


There were several Mediterranean revival style homes like that one. And a few cobblestone streets. 

Many homes from the late 1800's and early 1900's - Hattiesburg's heyday, before the Great Depression hit.


Love the yellow front door on this next one...



Here is a four square...


a brick Italianate....

c. 1890

Isn't this walkway intriguing - with the boxwoods and magnolia? ...


 I had to walk past that home and look back at this view...

Tatum House c 1929

Now, that's a stunner.

Short Bay Street, had some pretty homes, including this majestic one...

Great Oaks c. 1906

That particular home was recently for sale and you can see the interior pics at Old House Dreams.

This Mission style elementary school is now condos and an event facility....

Walthall School

Here is a view of downtown Hattiesburg, taken from near the train station....


I worry that if some of the vacant storefronts aren't occupied, soon, they may not stand much longer. 


Some have been renovated nicely, but are vacant...


That wood paneling looks wonderful.

This 1927 bakery has been revitalized and has great curb appeal....


Hattiesburg has the nickname "the hub city" and has lots and lots of train tracks crossing in downtown. The Italian Renaissance Revival train depot is gorgeous...


It was hot and I needed to get to meetings, but I did not even THINK to go inside this gorgeous depot.  Always have to save something for the next trip, right?

Tomorrow, I will share my jaunt on backroads through southwest Alabama.

Comments

JudyMac said…
Hattiesburg certainly has some beautiful old homes. Would love to do a leisurely walkabout there when the weather isn't hot. Reminds me of a dusk walk I did a few years ago through a residential neighborhood of gorgeous old homes in Bastrop, TX. It was on a Friday night, and in the background I could hear the high school band playing at halftime for their football game. Won't forget that for a long time.
I loved seeing these old homes and buildings. I hope that someone sees the importance of revitalizing the down town buildings for business and community pride.
Thanks for the tour!